We are looking for a summer intern to assist the Roncesvalles Village BIA with its Special Events, Marketing and Communications . The candidate must be a student at a College or University who will be resuming their studies in the fall. Preference will be given to students pursuing the fields of Marketing, Communications and or Special Events. This is a paid position at 30 hours per week for 14 or 15 weeks starting May 14, 2018. The application deadline is May 7, 2018 at noon.
The Roncesvalles Village Business Improvement Association (RVBIA) is looking to hire a summer intern to assist with tasks related to special events for the RVBIA. This includes sponsored events like our Mural Project, Roncy Rocks, Roncesvalles Polish Festival, and non-sponsored events like preparations for our Annual General Meeting and our Holiday Marketing Event. The intern will also be involved in supporting related marketing, media and member communications
With your help, the association will be able to extend its ability to communicate to the association’s business members, the community, its festival stakeholders, fans and would-be festival goers in support of two special events. You will help us build on the neighbourhood’s tradition of being an outstanding place to live, work, play and thrive. Each year, the RVBIA hosts the Roncesvalles Polish Festival that draws 300,000 to 400,000 visitors and Roncy Rocks a much smaller festival, which celebrates local music, arts, business and community spirit.
- Assist the Event Coordinator with digital media including drafts posts for publication on BIA & related festival websites & social media, take photographs, and draft or publish Member email updates in regards to the festivals.
- Alongside the Event Coordinator, assist with development of promotional and media materials re: event programming for seniors, children, youth and families, local musicians and artists which includes individuals from Indigenous and visible minority heritage. Candidate may communicate directly with the designer, collect files and distribute logos and other graphics needed.
- Administrative tasks as needed: maintaining contact lists, responding to public inquiries about the festivals, such as programming, transit, accessibility to venues, washrooms, information, volunteerism and assistance, including health and safety concerns and responding to standard BIA-Member and vendor inquiries regarding the festival
- Researches suppliers and is able to obtain competitive quotes.
- Attend committee meetings related to event planning and project management, contribute ideas and suggestions
- Support the Event Coordinator with vendor and artisan coordination including contracts and site plans
- Assists in coordinating, orienting and managing volunteers involved in special events, surveys and other success measurement activities.
- Pursuing post-secondary studies in Marketing, Event Management or Urban and Regional Planning
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks, self-motivate, use collaboration tools and problem solve
- Ability to manage time and priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills paired with online publishing and social media savvy
- Design and photography skills and training is an asset
Structure & Compensation
This is a summer internship position at 30 hours per week for 14 or 15 weeks, starting on May 14, 2018.
Send your resume and cover letter to the RVBIA Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please state in your last paragraph, the mode of transportation you would generally use to get to Roncesvalles Avenue and Marion Street and the time it would take you to get there from your home during morning rush hour. The application deadline is Monday, May 7, 2018 by noon. Applications received after that time will not be considered. Short listed applicants will be interviewed on Wednesday, May 9th. Start Date: May 14, 2018.
Roncesvalles Village Business Improvement Area (BIA)
Roncesvalles Village BIA (RVBIA) works with the City of Toronto to create a thriving and safe business area. It oversees streetscape improvements and special events to increase business, employment, shopping, tourism, volunteers and sustainable city living.
The RVBIA is an association of business owners along Roncesvalles Avenue, run by a volunteer Board of Management, one manager and a coordinator with the help of community and student volunteers. The RVBIA acts on the priorities and values of its business members to ensure a thriving main street to serve and delight the local community and visitors. We are looking for an enthusiastic student – passionate about special events and communications – to work with our team in the Roncesvalles Village neighbourhood and assist with our local festivals.
Working with a successful BIA can supply the chosen candidate with invaluable experience. Through learning the day-to-day workings of a professional association and the culture of an effective workplace, the candidate will be well positioned for their professional future.
Short-listed applicants will be interviewed on Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Start Date: Monday May 14, 2018
Download PDF of this job posting [226KB] Get Adobe Reader